Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Harder than expected

I would have thought that going from 5 mg to 2.5 mg of Prednisone wouldn't be so hard but I've been proven wrong, yet again. The first day was fine, nothing out of the ordinary. Then, on Tue and Wed, I started feeling the effects. I've been lethargic and sleepy all day long and I had a nagging headache all day on Wed. I'm wondering if maybe I'm not ready to reduce the dose yet. I'm going to give it one more day and, if things don't improve, I'll go back to 5 mg. My Rheumy did say that it might appear as if I'm going through a flare for the first 3 days after the reduction. That would mean I should start feeling normal by Fri considering I'm not going to count Mon since, for some reason, the reduction doesn't affect me on the day I actually reduce. Strange. The only other time, I felt the reduction was when I went from 7.5 mg to 5 mg. I was totally expecting that, though, since your body naturally produces 7.5 mg of cortisone and by going down to 5 mg, you're forcing your body to start producing again. But, this reduction difficulty came out of the blue.

I was supposed to taper to 0 mg on Dec 28, but I might just postpone to Jan 1. I'm not going back to work till Mar 2 so I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment