Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

Sleep problems

I struggle with sleep. Ever since I've been back at work, I'm having trouble getting into a routine. I know I need 9 hours of sleep at a minimum. If I wake up at 6 am, I need to be in bed by 9 pm. In theory anyway. Now, that's where the problem comes in.

See, I come home by 5:30 pm. I change out of my work clothes and get to work right away on eating dinner and preparing mine and Camran's lunch for the next day. I also clean up the kitchen, load the dishwasher and wash the non-dishwasher dishes. I usually finish around 7 pm at which point, Camran generally comes home from karate and I start his bedtime routine (which includes looking over his homework if he had school, go through his word lists, bath, brush teeth, settle into bed, read a book, stay with him while he says his surahs and duas and then 5 mins of quiet time). By that time it's generally 8:15 pm to 8:30 pm. Then I go for a shower, change into pajamas, tune into Jango, write a blog post, read the blogs I follow, catch up on facebook or other stuff I can't do at work which usually brings me to at least 9:30 pm. By that time, Aamir comes upstairs and watches TV.

Since I've started working, it now takes me up to 90 mins to fall asleep. I toss and turn and I just can't sleep. This is a foreign feeling for me. Before I got sick (or maybe it was because of the impending ill health), I used to be able to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. These days I don't sleep till 11 pm! That's too late. You'd think after all the stuff I have to do, I would just pass right out, right? But that doesn't happen. And it's not that I just don't need the sleep (like those wonderful Prednisone days). I do have trouble waking up the next morning and, even though I don't get sleepy during the day, I can feel myself depleted of energy by the time I have to repeat the evening routine the following day. The following night, I generally fall asleep within 30 mins but I don't think this is healthy.

So, at best, I'm getting 8 hours of sleep and, at worse, I get 7 hours of sleep. Not a big deal for a normal, non-lupite, I suppose. But given this condition, I really need to get more sleep. Ideally, I should be asleep by 9 pm, meaning I should be in bed by 8:30 pm. The worse part is that I'm not even including any of the extra stuff that I would like to do - like working out, spending time with Aamir, working on my novel, or spending time with friends.

I know this will pass and I just need to get into the groove but, it's hard while I figure all this out. Working full-time and caring for a child all while having a chronic illness is hard. It's times like this when I am very happy with my decision to stop trying for another child. Having a 2nd child to care for would be unthinkable in my condition - never mind being pregnant and trying to do all of the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment