Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Good Week

I've been going crazy researching the side effects of the various drugs I'm taking to control my situation. The verdict: Too many to mention! Keppra makes me feel like I'm drunk. I feel like my words come out slurred (although, admitedly, no one else notices) and my limbs move slower than I would like them to. While the thoughts inside my head are pretty coherent and normal, they don't quite sound right when I try to articulate them. I've been on Keppra regularly for two weeks now and the side effects don't seem to lessening. I'm assuming my brain will get used to the slower activity but I've been unable to find out exactly how long it takes to get used to this medication. According to my Google searches, it varies by person.

Thursday and Friday were excellent days for me, relatively speaking. On Thursday, I went with my father-in-law to drop Camran off at school, showered, ate a few times, picked him up from school and went to Shoppers Drugmart for a brief shopping trip. Friday was much the same as far as my energy levels were concerned. We went out today to run various errands. We left the house at 10:30 am and didn't return till 4 pm. Then after about an hour, Aamir decided he wanted to go grocery shopping. Since I had stuff on my list, Camran and I went too. It was too much for a single day. Tomorrow we have to go a cousin's kids' birthday party. I also have to prepare chicken for Camran's lunches for next week. Judging from my energy levels the past couple days, I don't think it's going to be a problem.


The thing about this illness, I'm finding, is that you have to take your body's cues. When you feel tired and your body begs rest, take a nap. Today was a hectic day and I think I packed in too much into six hours. I would never admit that in the past. Now it feels almost therapeutic to admit that there is such a thing as too much. It's ok to be tired. It's ok to have limitations.

That said, one of the things that I think I really need to start working on... writing my Harlequin romance novel. I have a storyline already. I want to start writing it. I was on the Harlequin website today and it said it could take up to a year for a novel to get published if it is selected. Based on that, if I want to make any extra money at all, I better start moving. At least it will give me something productive (and potentially money-making) to do during the day. Maybe I can post snippets here after I'm done and you can tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment