Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Follow-up with rheumatologist

I had my rheumatologist appointment this morning. Dr. Sugai and I spoke for an hour - it was the longest doctor's appointment I've ever had!! It turns out my case is not as cut and dry as most. Not that most Lupus cases are cut and dry! Turns out there has been considerable discussion about me and my medical case in the York Central Hospital physicians' world. Dr. Sugai spoke to the attending physician (Dr. Lam) and the other Rheumatologist (Dr. Kagal) on seperate occasions about my specific case.

In a nutshell, I do have lupus and the seizure is probably attributed to the disease. Here's what he said:

- I should continue with 15mg of Prednisone a day till October 14 and then go back for a follow-up appointment with Dr. Sugai.
- I need to continue with the Plaquenil 5 days a week
- I need to continue with the 500 mg of Keppra and schedule an appointment with the neurologist (Dr. Licorish) so she can monitor the Keppra dosage, prescription and side effects.
- I have to go in for a repeat blood test before my October 14 appointment.
- The Keppra is making my brain activity slower than normal (including speech) but that's normal. I guess eventually my brain will realize that this state is normal and will "forget" my normal self of 3 weeks ago. The brain is a complex organ. The good thing is that the MRI showed nothing wrong with my brain so that's encouraging. I do know the neurologist had wanted to do another EEG test. I'll keep you posted on that one.

Other than that, today was a pretty good day. I was a little lightheaded but not too much. I managed to keep Camran on a fairly good schedule all day and he actually listened to me with minimal coaxing. I think he's finally getting used to my being home and my being the primary caregiver once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment