Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Nostalgia

I have recently discovered Elvis Presley's music and I can understand why he was considered the King of Rock. His music is awesome and I keep listening to some of the older songs over and over again on You Tube, especially as I write my novel.

Anyway, I thought of reading about Elvis' troubled life on Wikipedia. His bio brought be to Priscilla Presley's bio and I remembered her being on Dallas for a while. Remember Dallas, the TV show from the 70s and 80s? Well, I had all but forgotten but then I decided to search for the Dallas intro on You Tube and wham! Nostalgia hit me from no where. Tears sprung into my eyes as I remembered every scene from that intro, watching it on Friday nights right before bedtime. My mum never let me actually watch the show because she said the content was too adult for me at the time. I must've been between 4 and 7 years old (can't be sure) but she would let me watch that intro and it has been etched in my memory forever, lying dormant, to come back in vivid pictures as it played again in front of eyes today. I still remember being completely in love with John Ross, who, I was reading just now, was just about my age on the show.

Isn't it funny how you never forget certain things. How you don't want to forget certain things. I would never have imagined back then that nearly 25 years later, I would be listening to the theme song from Dallas in the middle of the night and weeping. How much of those dormant memories shape us as adults? I happened to remember the intro from Dallas but those shiny buildings and the cattle ranch has indelibly been etched in my psyche. Enough to move me to tears apparently.

Sometimes I wonder where I'll be 25 years from now. Whether I'll remember these days of angst and uncertainty and think that it was all foolish because I'll be wiser. I used to think it was so unfair that my mother got to watch the show and I had to go to bed. But I do the exact same thing to Camran now. He's in bed by 7:30 pm and Aamir and I watch our movies after that. Such is the circle of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment