Wednesday, October 21, 2009

2nd EEG and Other Stories

I had my follow-up EEG today. It was a lot more goopy than I remember it being. And I don't remember the flashing lights last time. Got to the hospital at 9:15 am as they asked and didn't leave till 10:45 am. The technician said that the results take 2 weeks to come back. I need to make a follow-up appointment with Dr. Licorish (neurologist). The last time she said the EEG showed a definite "slowing" of brain waves. Apparently, "slow" brain waves are indicative of previous seizure disorders. This EEG should show the brain activity back to normal. We'll know in two weeks.

I've realised that I can't eat fast food anymore. The last time I ate McDonalds my stomach was upset. We ate at Burger King today and it tasted so good but I spent way too much time in the bathroom afterwards. Is that TMI?? Slowly but surely everything that I considered remotely "fun" is inaccessible. I can't even eat a hamburger anymore!

Staying home does have its advantages, I must say. I certainly have more time to do stuff. My weight hasn't gone up yet (still wavering between 100-101 lbs) but I think that's because I sort of dropped the ball on eating every 2 hours like I should be. I get to spend more time with Camran. I get to write whenever I feel like. I get to sleep whenever. If I could drive, this would be perfect. Except the money bit. If I could stay home all the time, I would. But not having enough money to play with doesn't make staying home worthwhile. It's fine for a little while as I get better, but it's not a long term situation. I will be going back to work at the beginning of February. Maybe even by Feb 1. Start with 2 days a week for a couple of weeks and work up from there. That is, of course, if they approve my LTD. If I get declined for LTD then I have to go back to work immediately. Not the ideal situation since I really don't know how I'll react to further steroid dosage decreases but I can't stay home with absolutely no income. Impossible.

Speaking of dosage reductions, a week has passed since the lowered dose of 12.5 mg of Prednisone. So far, I have noticed no changes in my symptoms. Still have insomnia. On Monday night, I didn't sleep at all. Finally fell asleep at 5:30 am on Tuesday morning and then had to wake up after an hour and half to get Camran ready for school. I thought I would crash after I dropped him off but that didn't happen. I was wide awake. I slept last night. Let's see what happens tonight. It's 12:24 am right now and I'm still wide awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment