Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Insomnia and Ideas

I haven't slept a full night's sleep since Friday, September 25. Last night (or this morning), I slept at 4 am and woke up again at 6:45 am to get Camran ready for school. After dropping him off, I crashed and slept for another three and a half hours but it was a fitful sleep and I kept having strange dreams which I couldn't remember after waking.

Other than that, I'm feeling a lot better. The side effects of the medication are starting to minimize. Either that or I'm just getting used to them. I eat practically every two hours but my weight is still 100 lbs (just looking at my last post). I went to see my family doctor today and he prescribed me sleeping pills to aid with the insomnia but I'm not interested in taking anymore pills.

Other notable events: Aamir mailed out my Long Term Disability forms today (as planned). I prepared a monthly budget to manage our finances better (as planned). We bought Camran his winter jacket and snow pants as well as a warmer fall jacket (as planned). I love it when things go according to plan.

About my romance novel; last night I listened to a podcast by the editors of the Harlequin Romance series and I think I really have the makings of a decent novel. It needs to be refined - and written - but I do believe I have the main elements down. I've also been reading "Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies". It's written by the executive editor of Harlequin so the information is similar from the podcast. I think I'm ready to start refining my outline and then actually writing my book. In one of my previous posts, I mentioned the money aspect of writing Harlequin romances. Well, I researched the money aspect of it and the bottom line is that I can't quit my day job yet. First time authors only get an advance of $1,000-$1,500 for the entire novel - that is, only if the publisher buys the manuscript, of course. Still, it's not a bad bit of pocket change. I might start another blog about how that whole process is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment